Roulette is one of the most popular casino table games. It was first developed in 18th Century France and it quickly became a staple of fashionable European casinos, before making its way over to the UK in the 19th and 20th centuries.
The word ‘roulette’ means ‘little wheel’ in French, and it’s believed that the French theologian and scientist, Blaise Pascal, accidentally invented the game’s mechanism while trying to create a perpetual motion machine.
Playing Roulette Online
There are several variants of Roulette, but the overall gameplay is the same in all variants. The croupier spins a ball around the outer edge of a wheel, and the inner edge of the wheel contains numbered pockets, 0-36. When the ball slows down, it lands randomly in one of the numbered pockets.
Before the ball is spun, players must bet on where it will land. There are a few different ways to bet with different odds. Each number is coloured either red or black, except for the ‘0’, which is green. Players bet by placing chips on a number chart - these are known as inside bets, or outside the chart - these are called outside bets.
Outside bets at Online Roulette are:
- Bets on dozens: Players can bet on the ball landing on a group of 12 numbers.
- Column bets: Players can place their chips below a column in the chart, and they win if the ball lands on any number in the column.
- Colour bets: Players can bet on the ball landing on either a red or black number.
- Even/odd bet: Players can bet on whether the ball will land on an odd or even number.
- Low/high bet: Players can bet on the ball landing on a low (1-18) number, or high (19-36)
Outside bets have a high probability of winning, so these bets have relatively small payouts. For example, even/odd bets pay out 2:1, while bets on dozens pay out 3:1.
Inside bets are as follows:
- Straight up: Players can bet on a single number
- Split bets: Players can bet on 2 adjoining numbers by placing their chips on the line which separates them
- Street bets: Likewise, players can bet on 3 adjoining numbers by placing chips on the corner which connects them in the play chart
- Corner bets: Players can also place their chips on the corner which connects 4 numbers
- Line bets: Players can bet on two adjacent rows, covering six numbers in total.
The odds for winning are adjusted based on your bet. For example, a straight up bet pays out 35:1, whereas a street bet pays out 17:1. The odds are calculated based on your chances of winning, and are then skewed slightly in favour of the house.
There are 5 main variants (Types) of Roulette:
- European (Classic) Roulette
- American Roulette
- French Roulette
- Live Roulette
- English Roulette.
In terms of gameplay and betting rules, these various games are identical, but the wheel has one crucial difference.
European (Classic Roulette)
In all versions, the green-coloured 0 is responsible for giving the house a significant advantage. For example, a colour bet pays out 2:1, but since there’s a green number on the wheel, the chances of winning are slightly below 50/50. In European Roulette, there’s only a single 0 on the wheel.
American Roulette, there’s a 0 and double 00, which means the house has a higher chance of winning in the American version.
French Roulette has only a single 0, but it uses the La Partage rule. For purposes of the game, the 0 is not considered an even number, however, the La Partage rule returns 50% of the player’s bet if they bet on even and the ball landed on 0.
Live Roulette allows online casino players to sync with fellow gamers and play with an in-house live dealer talking to both dealer and other players throughout for a much more social game. Live Roulette is available in all versions.
A variation of French Roulette, English Roulette also uses 37 pockets and one 0. It all plays pretty much the same way, except that players lose 50% of their bet when the ball lands on 0 - and not only in the case of betting on even, as in the French version of Roulette.
You can enjoy all of these different types of Roulette when you get playing at bCasino UK
Playing Online Roulette
Playing at bCasino is very similar to playing Roulette at a land-based casino. You can choose to either play against a computer with an automated dealer, or you can choose to play at a live UK casino with human players and an in-house live dealer.
Playing a PC version means you can choose from an array of incredible online Roulette games with stunning graphics and 3D roulette wheels. The rules are the same as in a land-based casino and the layout is very easy to understand and follow. Playing live usually means you have fewer options in terms of variants, but you can chat with fellow players and watch the dealer spin the ball live from the studio - check out Roulette live while having fun and playing at bCasino UK!
Here are a few Roulette terms which are important to know before you start playing:
- Backtrack: The outer rim of the wheel, where the ball spins
- Black Bet: Betting on colour black
- Bottom Track: The part of the wheel where the ball slides before landing in a pocket
- Corner Bet: Betting on 4 different numbers simultaneously
- Croupier: The casino staff member who spins the wheel and collects the bets
- High Bet: Betting on numbers 19-36
- Low Bet: Betting on numbers 1-8
- Parlay: When a player places a bet for the next spin
- Red Bet: Betting on colour red
- Split Bet: Betting on 2 different numbers simultaneously
- Straight Bet: Betting on just 1 number
- Street Bet: Betting on 3 different numbers simultaneously
- Visual Wheel Tracking: Estimating where the ball will land just by watching the wheel
- Wheel Head: The numbered pockets on the wheel
As well as offering players the chance to win big, Roulette is also a really fun game to play. Watching the ball spin around the wheel before tantalizingly landing in one of the pockets can be a thrilling experience. As long as you gamble responsibly and don’t over bet, playing Roulette is one the most fun things you can do at the casino. So what are you waiting for? Read up on some great roulette betting strategies and -
Get playing Roulette at bCasino now!