Blackjack is one of the most popular Online casino game. It is an historic game of unknown origin that was previously called twenty-one. It was first discussed in a book by Spanish writer Miguel de Cervantes, who is best known for writing Don Quixote.
Blackjack Casino Games
When it arrived in the United States, twenty-one was changed by gambling houses. In an effort to create interest in the game, casinos created new bonuses that had not been part of twenty-one previously. The most popular of the bonuses was a ten-to-one (10 to 1) payout for a hand consisting of the Ace of Spades and a black Jack (Jack of Clubs or Jack of Spades). This winning hand became known as Blackjack.
The name stuck and for the most part replaced Twenty-One to become the game we know and love today. As for the ten-to-one bonus, it faded put overtime as Blackjack became more popular in gambling houses. To be specific, blackjack is a winning hand consisting of an Ace plus a ten or face card of any suit.
Playing Blackjack has never been easier, with the popular table game now available online. As one of the leading UK online casinos - bCasino (bcasino.co.uk) has various Blackjack games from several developers for you to enjoy.
Blackjack Video Course
Playing Online Blackjack
Essentially, Blackjack is a comparing card game that is played amongst a few players and a dealer, it is the most popular casino banking game in the world. During a game, players compete directly with the dealer and not against each other. This is one of the most important things to remember about Blackjack.
The simple objective of Blackjack is to defeat the dealer and receive a payout. It is possible to do this in one of the three following ways:
- Get 21 points from the first two cards dealt (known as a “natural” or “blackjack”) without the dealer matching the hand.
- Use dealt cards to get a final score higher than the dealer, but not more than 21.
- Wait for the dealer to draw more cards and bust by going over 21.
Blackjack uses a standard deck of 52 playing cards, although most games will use multiple decks. However, there are some dedicated online games that play with a single deck. Both variants are available for free right here on bCasino.
The lower the number of decks, the lower the house edge and better chance of winning for the player. Through its early growth, players were winning Blackjack too often for the liking of casinos. To stop this trend, gambling houses introduced multiple decks to games, which has since become a standard practice for online and land-based casinos.
Modern casinos use between six and eight decks of cards, with each additional deck improving the edge for the house:
Each player is dealt two cards (one at a time) which can often be visible to all players, but not always (such as in “hole card” games). Cards from a deck have a set value that can be contributed towards achieving 21 or the nearest high score to it:
- Numerical Cards: Numbered cards 1 to 10 count as their face numerical value (for example, where 2 is 2 and 10 is 10).
- Face Cards (Picture Cards): The King, Queen, and Jack are all worth 10 in Blackjack
- Aces: Ace cards are high or low, allowing the player to use them as a 1 or 11 at their own discretion.
If the value of a hand ever exceeds 21, the player is bust and removed from that round of gameplay. As mentioned above, there are three ways to win at Blackjack, but there are several card combinations that can help achieve wins. It is important to remember the dealer will never surrender in the game, which means the dealer will always aim for 21 or as close to.
During Blackjack gameplay, you will see and use numerous terms that are standard parlance for the game. Most important of these are the player decisions, which will directly affect the outcome of each round:
- Hit: Take another card from a dealer if you need to increase value to get closer to 21.
- Stand: Receive no more cards and stick with the value in hand.
- Double Down: Receive a 100% increase of the initial bet by agreeing to stand when the next card is drawn.
- Split: If the first two cards dealt are the same value, it is possible to split them into two hands, essentially creating another bet. The dealer will draw another single card for each of the two hands.
- Surrender: While not available in all games, many will allow the player to surrender when the opening two cards are drawn. This is only possible as the first game decision and results in the dealer returning half the original wager and the house keeping the other half.
As noted above, Blackjack was not the origin of the card game called Twenty-One, so various versions of the game have developed around the world. For the most part, all versions follow the same principles, with some notable differences. For example, Spanish 21 allows doubling down on any number of drawn cards and awards a bonus for hands that make 21 with five or more cards. This five card win is also used in the British recreational game called Pontoon, which borrows heavily from Blackjack. In Pontoon, a five card win is called a Five Card Trick. In Spanish 21, there are no 10 cards in the playing deck/s.
Another important variant is called 21st Century Blackjack, although some may know it as “Vegas Style” Blackjack. Ironically, this version was formed in California card houses and not in Vegas casinos. Interestingly, this game does not result in a direct loss if a player busts. Instead the hand continues to see if the dealer also busts. The hand with the lowest bust would win in an event all players are over 21.
Various other forms of Blackjack have been created around different bonuses. Double Exposure pays even money for Blackjack or Natural hands and players lose to the dealer when there’s a tie. Double Attack also pays even money for a Natural and allows the player to increase the bet after seeing the dealer’s face up card. Blackjack Switch is a two-hand version of the game where the player can swap cards from either hand.
Playing Online Blackjack
The experience of playing Blackjack at bCasino is very similar to playing at a land-based casino. In fact, there are more versions of the game available to choose from across an array of the leading casino game developers. Online Blackjack games can come with an automated dealer (you against the computer), or you can choose to play live with an in-house croupier.
Here at bCasino, we have a vast array of amazing online Blackjack games featuring the best game mechanics and graphics. Our carefully selected games also deliver award-winning gameplay and bonuses.
Tips for Playing Online Blackjack
- Play for Free: Almost all of the Blackjack games at bCasino have a play for free (or Play for Fun) option. This lets you enjoy the thrill of one of the world’s best casino games without the risk of losing money. While the thrill of playing for stakes is unbeatable, playing for free is a great way to familiarize yourself with the rules of Blackjack and how the game works. Of course, if you don’t bet money, you can’t win money!
- Manage your Funds: Overspending when the action gets thrilling is easy to do, we all get caught up in the excitement of Blackjack sometimes. If you set a betting limit before each session, you will know you will not overspend and bet more than you can afford.
Join the Fun
With dozens of Blackjack games at your disposal, winning big at bCasino is definitely possible. However, it is worth remembering that you will also have a really good time playing one of the best card games ever created. Fast paced and tense, Blackjack is a game of wits and decisions and if you gamble responsibly you will have so much fun playing.
Don’t waste any more time, dust off your strategies and play online Blackjack at bCasino UK right now!